This project by Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (SA DPTI) .
The Torrens Road to River Torrens project includes a 4km upgrade of South Road incorporating a 3km long non-stop lowered road (8m below ground level), improving travel efficiency for north-south traffic through Adelaide’s metropolitan area. It also includes a rail overpass, improved pedestrian and cycling facilities and 4 major intersection upgrades.
Sustainability objectives of the project include:
- Minimising energy consumption and environmental harm including noise, vibration and air quality whilst maintaining and enhancing the local ecological value.
- Minimising impact on the livelihood of the local community while improving the quality of life in the local area.
- Using this project as a catalyst to rebuild and enhance the community and social relationships whilst nurturing and respecting cultural and historical significance of the area.
- Utilising opportunities to minimise energy, materials and resources while maintaining business within state borders.
- Ensuring decision-making within leadership is compliant with current legislation and meets the environmental, social and economic objectives.
- Rating Type Road
- Registered Date June 2015
- Practical Completion December 2018
- Jurisdiction Australia
- States SA
- Assessor Cathy Chesson (Design), Heather Wincer (As Built)
- Capital Value $896m
- Other Stakeholders Mott McDonald, Wallbridge and Gilbert, Grieve Gillette Dimity Andersen, Kath Moore & Associates, Sage Automation, Downer, Boral Australia, Rix Group, Outside Ideas, Suez, Adelaide Resource Recovery.