The $1.1 billion Rail Systems Alliance is being delivered by a consortium comprising CPB Contractors, Bombardier Transportation and Metro Trains Melbourne. It has registered for a Design v1.2 IS Rating.
The Rail Systems Alliance is a major component of the $11 billion Metro Tunnel Project which will untangle the City Loop by taking three of the Melbourne's busiest train lines through a new tunnel under the city, creating space on the network for an additional 504,000 peak passengers every week. It will create a new end-to-end train line from Sunbury in the west to Cranbourne/Pakenham in the south-east, with twin nine-kilometre tunnels and five new underground stations at Arden (to be renamed North Melbourne), Parkville, Anzac, and two new CBD stations - State Library and Town Hall - which will directly connect to the City Loop. The Rail Systems Alliance will roll out 58 kilometres of high capacity signalling on an existing train network for the first time in Australia and install platform screen doors at the five new underground stations. Works include the design, supply, installation, testing, integration and commissioning of train and power control systems, operational control systems and signalling
The sustainability vision for the Metro Tunnel Project is underpinned by a series of environmental, social and economic commitments. We believe that working to create a balance between these three core commitments is vital for maintaining Melbourne’s liveability and for delivering a project with a lasting positive legacy.
- An integrated sustainability approach will generate a number of benefits including:
- Better building and infrastructure performance.
- Economic growth and ecologically sustainable development.
- Better operational efficiency and maintenance requirements.
- Whole-of-life cost and Greenhouse Gas emission savings.
- Safe and healthy environment for commuters
- Rating Type Rail
- Registered Date December 2018
- Practical Completion December 2025
- Jurisdiction Australia
- States VIC
- Suburb Melbourne
- Assessor Michael Trinh
- Capital Value $1.1 Billion
- Other Stakeholders Aurecon Australasia Pty Ltd, Jacobs Group (Australia) Pty Ltd, Mott MacDonald, Rail Projects Victoria, JV, Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources
To find out more about this project, visit the Metro Tunnel website.