On behalf of Transport for NSW, WestConnex Transurban has engaged the Acciona Samsung Bouygues Joint Venture (ASBJV), formerly the Lendlease Samsung Bouygues Joint Venture, to design and construct the WestConnex M4-M5 Link Tunnels.
The project will deliver twin mainline motorway tunnels between the M4 motorway at Haberfield and the M8 motorway at St Peters. Each tunnel will be around 7.5 kilometres long and will generally accommodate up to four lanes of traffic in each direction.
Motorists will be able to travel the full length of the M4-M5 Link Tunnels in around eight minutes. When the WestConnex motorway network is complete, drivers will save an estimated 40 minutes on a trip from Parramatta to Sydney Airport.
- 28% reduction of energy emissions through efficient design, GreenPower™ and carbon offsetting
- 67% reduction of water use through lean construction methods and responsible construction practices
- 58% replacement of potable water through efficient design and responsible construction practices
- 17% reduction of materials lifecycle impacts through specification of cement replacement and custom concrete design mixes, asset design optimisation and responsible procurement practices
- Mitigation of 80% of medium-rated long-term climate risks and 78% of low-rated risks and exceeding the relevant credit benchmarks
- A bold urban design for the surface ventilation facility at St Peters that interprets local Aboriginal heritage and enhances the local built form with a striking connection between the asset and Country
- Aboriginal participation rate is 5% exceeding the aspirational target of 3%
- Thirty-five (35) contracts to Indigenous businesses registered and certified with Supply Nation totalling an estimated $30m spend to date
- Female participation rate of 22% exceeding the national industry average of 12%
- At least 80% of supplies and subcontractor services from NSW including 53% in areas also targeted for skills and employment initiatives
- 5% of total spend is with small businesses and 10% is in areas of relative socio-economic disadvantage